Can You Install A Printer Without the CD
While many laptops and desktops have an in-built CD drive, newer models have given them a pass to make the devices more compact. This means you cannot use your printer’s software installation CD or any CD for that matter. On this website, we guide you through the installation process if you don’t have a CD drive or you’ve simply lost the CD.
For Windows using a USB
- Connect your laptop and printer with the USB provided by the manufacturer. (some printers come with a USB to non-USB cable)
- Switch on your printer and wait for a minute before proceeding.
- In the search bar below, type “Printers and Scanners”. Alternatively, click the Windows icon (bottom left corner)→ Go to “Settings” → Select “Printers and Scanners”.
- Click on “Add Printer or Scanner”.
- In the window that appears, select your printer name. This should automatically launch the printer’s installation window.
- Follow the installation prompts on your screen and once the process is finished, your printer should start working.
Using software download
- Open the printer manufacturer’s official website and ook for your model under the “Printers” tab.
- Once you find your printer model, click on it and look for a “Software” download link,
- You should find it next to “Printer Driver”. Click the download link to initiate the downloading.
- Now, open the downloaded file by unzipping it. (Right-click the file → select “Extract here”)
- In the software folder, look for a .exe file and run it by double-clicking on it.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the installation.
- Use a USB cable or Wi-Fi (for wireless printers) to check if your laptop/computer recognizes the printer.