Common Canon Printer Error Codes And Solutions
An error is never pleasant, but in the case of a printer it provides clarity. The printer screen always shows an error code, so you can easily find where the problem lies. Thanks to the specific code, you will also know how to correct the error. Canon printers indicate error codes with number / letter combinations or number sequences. We will explain the most common error codes and how to fix them.
Types of error codes :
Your Canon printer stops working and displays an error code. Do not worry. Just look at what the screen says so you can figure it out. Your Canon printer can display 2 types of error codes:
- Number / letter combinations
- Number sequences
1. Number/letter combinations :
Error Code E13 / E16:
The printer is out of ink or not enough ink to print. Replace the cartridges.
Error Code U162 / U163 :-
Your machine prompts you to replace the empty cartridges. If this message appears after inserting a new ink cartridge, you can clear this error code by following the instructions below. On your Canon printer, find, press and hold the STOP / RESET / RESUME button for 10 seconds. This lets the printer know that you are aware of the message but want to continue printing anyway. You will be allowed to print normally.
Error Code E5 / E05:-
This error code can cause an orange light on your machine to blink 5 times and is due to either the printhead not being installed at all or it may have been installed incorrectly. The print head is not installed (correctly) or is broken. Open the cover of your printer and check if the print head is installed correctly.
E7 / E07:
A “FINE” cartridge is the three-color cartridge used in your Canon printer. If installed incorrectly, this error message may appear. Only official Canon cartridges will display this message, but that doesn’t mean you can’t use compatible to solve the problem. The slots on your Canon printer may look the same, but they are designed to identify a color and black cartridge.
This error code refers to a service error that can occur due to a hardware failure in the printer or printhead. Canon’s official advice states that you can: Turn off the printer, unplug the power cord, open the printer cover, check for orange protective tape or white polystyrene and remove if necessary, check for foreign objects in the printer (as a paper clip) and remove if necessary, close the lid, reconnect and turn on. If this has not resolved the problem, contact a Canon repair center. The print head or the printer itself is broken. Contact our customer service or Canon customer service +1-800-551-9606.
2. Number Sequences
Other codes from Canon only consist of 4 numbers. See below which error codes exist and how to solve them.
- 5011: It means a printer error, you can solve it by turning off the printer and unplugging it before plugging it back in and trying to print one more time.
- 5100/5200/5400/5700/6000: It’s possible that there is still packaging or protection material in your printer. Check whether you removed all the foam and various pieces of tape from the printer.
- A service error has occurred. Turn off the printer
- Disconnect the power cable
- Open the printer cover
- Check for any orange protective tape or white polystyrene and remove if necessary
- Check that there are no foreign objects in the printer (such as a paper clip) and remove if necessary
- Close the cover
- Reconnect and turn on
- 1682: Your cartridges aren’t recognized by the printer. Check if the cartridges are properly in place and if all of the protective material has been removed. Re-insert the cartridges and restart your printer.
How to Reset the Canon printer?
If the above solutions don’t help, you can reset the canon printer as follow the guide:
- Turn on the printer.
- Press and hold the Stop / Reset button.
- Press and hold the button you use to make a color copy.
- Wait 5 seconds. Release the color copy button first and then the reset button.
- The printer now reboots and configures itself.
- Does the printer indicate that the device needs to be calibrated? Press OK and let the printer do its job.
- You have restarted your printer. Still without success? Contact +1-800-551-9606 Canon Printer Customer Service.