How to setup HP Color Laser Enterprise M651?
So, you are confused about setting up your latest printer in your home or office? No worries, we will guide you here. Just follow the simple steps below before you install the printer software on your computer. We are going to explain to you how to set up the physical parts of the printer in the right way. So let’s go:
- Unpack the printer
Yes, it’s important, or else how will you do the set-up. Lame joke? Anyway, let’s continue the procedure. First, do the site selection to place the printer. And mind you, it does need to meet the following specifications below:
- It needs a strong work surface (or else it will fall), well-ventilated area, and please avoid it from direct sunlight.
- The temperature range should be 15 °-30°C
- And the humidity range should be 10%-80%
- Do allow some space around the printer to open all doors and trays.
- Now carefully take the printer out of the box and after that remove the
packaging material. And do verify the contents.
- Remove the shipping tape and foam protector from outside the printer.
And open all orange plastic tray inserts and other packaging material from
inside the printer.
Connect the network cable (OPTIONAL)
Connect the network cable now if you want your printer to be connected to a network or if you don’t want just skip it and continue the procedure by moving to the Connect the power cable and turn on the printer section on this page.
Connect the power cable and turn on the printer
- Attach the power cable to the printer for the connection. Use only the power cable that came along with the printer to prevent any damage to your printer.
- Now, connect the power cable to a grounded AC outlet, and while doing that be sure that the power source is acceptable for the printer voltage rating.
- Turn on the printer power and before continuing it, wait for at least 60 seconds. During these 60 seconds, if the printer able to connect to a network then the network remembers the printer and assigns an IP address or hostname for the printer.
- Okay, now on the control panel you have to set the language, the date/time format, and the time zone. Touch the Initial Setup when the Home screen appears and enable the basic printer functions.
To go for the advanced setup for network-connected printers, you have to enter the printer IP address in the address bar of a Web browser after the completion of the software installation. And to detect the IP address, just follow these simple steps:
- FutureSmart 3
Touch the Network Button from the Home screen on the printer control panel.
- FutureSmart 4
Touch the Information Icon, and then touch the Network Button from the Home screen on the printer control panel.
- If the printer is connected with a USB cable, the software installation process requires that the printer is turned on and it’s clear to start. So, follow these steps to configure the Wake/Auto On Settings so the printer wakes from Sleep Mode in the course of the software installation process. And to be noted, these steps vary according to the control panel.
Scroll to and touch the Administrative Button from the Home Screen on the printer control panel.
- Select the General Settings Menu.
- Touch the Energy Settings item.
- Touch the Sleep Timer Settings item.
- Touch the All events item.
- Select Settings from the Home screen on the printer control panel.
- Launch the following menus:
- Energy Settings
- Sleep Settings
- Select the HP Auto Off/Auto On item and then touch Done.
Load Tray 2, Tray 3, and Tray 4
By the way, the procedure to load Tray 3 and Tray 4 is the same as for Tray 2. So only Tray 2 is shown here.
- Open the tray
- Regulate the paper-length and paper-width guides by compressing the adjustment latches and sliding the guides to the size of the paper being used.
- Now, load paper into the tray and check it to verify the guides lightly touch the stack, but do not bend it.
- And close the tray.
- The tray configuration message will display on the printer control panel.
- Tap the OK button to accept the detected type and size. Or touch the Modify button to choose a different paper size or type.
- Choose the correct type and size, and then touch the OK
Load the 1,500-sheet high-capacity input tray (Tray 5)
- Open the tray. Mind it, do not open it when it is in use.
- Adjust the paper-width to the right position for the paper.
- Adjust the paper-stop lever to the right position for the paper
- Now, load the paper into the tray and check the paper to verify the guides lightly touch the stack, but do not bend it.
Avoid overfilling the tray to prevent it from jams. An error message might appear during printing or the paper might jam if the tray is not adjusted correctly.
- Now, close the tray.
- On the printer control panel, the tray configuration message will appear.
- Tap the OK button to accept the detected type and size, or just click the Modify button to choose a different paper size or type.
- Now, select the correct type and size, and then tap the OK
Verify that the printer prints
To check if the printer prints, perform the following steps below.
- Scroll and tap the Administrative button from the Home screen on the printer control panel.
- Launch the following menus:
- Configuration/Status Pages
- To select it, touch the Configuration Page
- To print the configuration and Jetdirect pages, touch the Print Button.
- Find the IP address on the Jetdirect pages if the printer is connected to a network.
- IPv4: If the IP address is 0.0.0.0, or 184.108.40.206, 169.254.x.x, manually configuring the IP address is a must. Otherwise, the network configuration was successful.
- IPv6: If the IP address commences with “fe80:”, the printer should be capable to print. If not, you must manually configure the IP address.
- Select Reports from the Home screen on the printer control panel.
- Select Configuration/Status Pages.
- Select Configuration Page.
- To print the configuration and Jetdirect pages, select Print.
- Find the IP address on the Jetdirect page if the printer is connected to a network.
- IPv4: If the IP address is 0.0.0.0, or 220.127.116.11, or 169.254.x.x, manually configure the IP address. Otherwise, the network configuration was successful.
- IPv6: If the IP address begins with “fe80:” the printer should be able to print. In case it doesn’t, then manually configure the IP address.
Update the firmware (OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED)
The features of HP are regularly updated and are available in the printer firmware. To take advantage of the most current features, update the printer firmware.
Do check the network administrator before updating the printer firmware.
Links to software installation instructions
Install the printer software after finishing the following steps.
Windows: Install the printer software from the CD.
Mac: The software of the Mac installer is not included in the CD. So follow the steps below to download the Mac installer software.
- Go to www.hp.com/support/colorljM651.
- Choose Support Options.
- Select Drivers, Software, & Firmware under Download Options.
- Select the Operating system version, and then click Download.
To know about software installation instructions, just click the link for the computer operating system and type of connection.
- Installing the printer software in Windows for a USB cable connection
- Installing the printer software in Windows on a Wired (Ethernet) Network
Mac OS X
- Installing the printer software in Mac OS for a USB installation
- Installing the printer software in Mac OS on a Wired (Ethernet) Network
Hope this article is helpful for you. Thank you.