Printer won’t Print Black White:-
Your Epson printer may stop printing black and white prints if the printer detects that the color ink cartridges are empty.
However, you can force some Epson printers to print black and white prints without color ink cartridges by following the steps below.
Printer manufacturers have been known to configure their printer so that the printer can stop printing if one of the ink cartridges runs out. Even if you have a full black ink cartridge and you want to print in black and white, the printer will not print.
If your Epson printer does not print in black and white without color ink, you can force the printer to print in black and white with a workaround.
Epson/Canon printer won’t print black and white without color ink :-
Method 1:- Set Grayscale in Print Options:-
- Make sure to cancel the print job. When the Epson Status Monitor status appears, click Cancel or Stop.
- Load plain paper in the tray.
- Click File.
- Select Print or Print Setup
- Click on Properties or Preferences
- Open the file
- Select the appropriate quality option setting.
- Select normal or envelope as the typesetting.
- Choose the Grayscale checkbox under Print Options.
- Click OK to close the printer setup window.
Now try printing your file to see if the Epson printer can print in black and white only. Epson Status Monitor will appear on your computer screen, just click Print in Black to print in black ink.
Note that according to Epson this solution will only work on SX420W / SX425W / NX420 series printers. If you have a different model, give it a try to see if it works.
Method 2:- Force print in Black and White Epson/Canon Printer:-
- Close all applications that you are using to print.
- Press Windows Key + R to open Run.
- Type control and click OK to open the Control Panel.
- Click Hardware and Sound.
- Right-click the printer you are trying to configure.
- Select Printer Preferences.
- Open color
- Select Print in Grayscale
- Select the high-quality setting from the drop-down list under the Print in Grayscale option.
- Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
Close the Devices and Printers windows. Open any program with a print function and try to print the file. Click OK to any message that confirms printing in black and white only.
Method 3:- Disable Epson/Canon Status Monitor:-
- Press the Windows key.
- Type control and click on Control Panel.
- Go to Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers.
- Right-click on your printer and select Printer Preferences.
- Find the box that read Speed and Progress.
- Locate Disable Epson Status Monitor and check the box to disable it.
- Select Save.
Method 4:- Run Printer Troubleshooter:-
- Press Windows Key + I to open Settings.
- Open Update and Security.
- Open the Troubleshoot tab.
- Click on Printer.
- Click the Run the troubleshooter button.
- Follow on-screen instructions and apply any recommended fix.
Once applied, try printing in black and white to see if the error is resolved. Otherwise, connect with our get instant solution for the printer.