Firewalls monitor network traffic and can block network connections for some software and hardware. Windows 10 includes its own Windows Defender Firewall which may block Brother printers and other models for some users. Therefore, affected users cannot use their Brother printers when they are blocked by firewalls.
Why is Windows Firewall blocking my printer?
1. Turn Off the Windows 10 Firewall
- The most obvious, and perhaps easy, way to prevent Windows Defender Firewall from blocking a printer is to turn off WDF. Users can do that in Windows 10 by clicking the Type here to search button on the taskbar.
- Then enter “Windows Defender Firewall” as the search keyword for the Firewall Control Panel applet.
- Click Windows Defender Firewall to open the Control Panel applet window.
- Click Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off to open the options shown directly below.
- Then select the two Turn off Windows Defender Firewall radio buttons to turn off the WDF.
- Press the OK button.
2. Set Up Inbound Rules for Brother Printer Ports
- Users can open the WDF port for the Brother printer to remove the firewall lock without closing the firewall. To do this, users must configure inbound rule exceptions by clicking Advanced Settings in the Windows Defender Firewall Control Panel applet.
- Then click on the inbound rule directly in the window shown below.
- Select the new rule on the right side of the WDF Advanced Security window to open the new inbound rules wizard.
- Select the port option and click on the Next button.
- Select the UDP option.
- Then click on the specific local port.
- Then enter “54925” in the text box, which is the external and internal port number for Brother network scanning.
- Press the next button.
- Select the Allow connection option and click on the Next button.
- Select all the check boxes for the profile and click on the Next button.
- Enter a title for the new rule. Users can also add some additional rule descriptions to other text boxes.
- Press the finish button.
- Repeat the steps above to configure two more inbound rules for sibling port number 137 (for remote printing and setup) and 54926 (for network PC fax).
We provide all technical services at friendly .You will get unlimited services in Tech Support Expert. Connect via live chat and get a reliable solution by sitting in your place. Our certified experts have a solution for all your Brother printer issues.